Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Change in Eating Habits and A Recipe {Vegan}


First, let me start by saying that I HAVE NOT watched the documentary "Forks Over Knives". Second, this post may seem somewhat like I'm "jumping on the bandwagon" (so to speak...), but if I am, then fine because what's wrong with other people eating healthier making me want to eat healthier....?

I've been contemplating for quite some time, what and how I am going to change my eating habits. But, frankly I have been too lazy to do so. Well, I am not really lazy, because I DO a lot. But, I do have my lazy moments. I don't like them so much because later I get the guilty feeling about how unproductive I was. I like productivity. Also, healthier food is more expensive. That really sucks doesn't it?

Anyways, back to the topic...
  1. I am lactose-intolerant. I'm very bad at eating that way. I tend to eat ice cream, cheese (not milk, I hate milk), and other dairy products, then I feel bloated, and yucky with a stomachache. When I eliminate those dairy products, I don't do such a good job of replacing them with other foods with calcium, protein, etc. 
  2. I don't really like meat. Or eggs. I could never ever ever give up seafood. I LOVE SEAFOOD. 
Before I was pregnant with Isabel, I was a vegetarian. Before that, I didn't eat eggs for almost 10 years. Just the thought of what an egg is grossed me out. My goal in being a vegetarian wasn't really to not eat meat (although I didn't), it was to eat MORE fresh fruits and veggies. I did a pretty good job at it. Lately, I have been making a conscience effort to eat less meat, and replace that with other, nutritious foods. I'm slowly going to start leaving towards eating vegan. My goal is to eat breakfast and lunch without any animal products. Then slowly change our dinners. Dinner will be harder, because I will have to convince Adrian (who does love milk, meat, and eggs), to want to change his eating habits. 

Here's what I ate today:
Breakfast: Steel Cut Oats with Stevia, and a Fruit Smoothie with Flax Seed
Snack: Rye Toast with Coconut Spread and Fruit Juice Sweetened Raspberry Jam
Lunch: Coconut Milk Yogurt, Carrot Sticks, and Sprouted Grain Bread with Almond Butter
Snack: Handful of Dairy Free Kettle Corn
Dinner: Soyrizo scramble (recipe below), with Tofuti "sour cream", and corn tortillas

I think Soyrizo tastes better than real chorizo. It's not as greasy, and definitely better for you! 


Ingredients:
1 package of Soyrizo (even the regular grocery store carries it)
1 large sweet onion
2 cloves garlic
2 small/medium pototoes
1 red bell pepper
6oz mushrooms, roughly chopped
1/2 package of medium or firm tofu
Salt & Pepper to taste


Saute the onions is a little bit of coconut oil (or other oil like olive or canola oil) until transparent.  Add the garlic, and other veggies, and saute until the potatoes are cooked. 


Add the soyrizo, and combine thoroughly.

Crumble the half of the package of tofu, and add to the pan. Stir well to combine, and saute for 3-5 more minutes. Eat with tortillas and sour supreme.


I also tried this drink today from Sprouts. Interesting....



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...