Saturday, February 25, 2012

Lazy Dinner

I had planned on making beef stew last night, but we were so busy with the garden all day that I was exhausted by dinner time. That's why I'm calling this LAZY DINNER!

This recipe is so easy, that it shouldn't even count as a recipe. Simple & yummy. Pesto can be pretty pricey, but I've found it at Costco at a pretty good price. You can see the jar in the background of the first picture. 22oz for $7.99. I only used about 1/3 of the container for this recipe. I can't wait to get the basil growing so I can make my own pesto! I'm planting a whole 4 foot row of just basil. :)

Baked Pesto Chicken
Printable Recipe

Ingredients:
2 large boneless skinless chicken breasts (sliced in half to make them thinner, then cut into strips)
2/3 cup pesto
salt & pepper
1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.

Spread 1/3 cup pesto in the bottom of a
glass pyrex pan. Add the chicken
Season with Salt & Pepper. 

Spread another 1/3 cup pesto on top
of the chicken.


Cover with foil. Don't forget, or the
chicken will dry out. Bake for 20 minutes,
or until the chicken is almost done cooking.
Take the foil off, and sprinkle with 1/2
cup shredded cheese. Place back in the oven
for another 5-10 minutes, or until the cheese
is golden. You can turn the broiler on
for this part.




Serve over pasta, brown rice, or quinoa! (pronounced keen-wah)  We ate it over quinoa cooked in chicken broth. We saved the extra pesto that was left in the pan and served with with any leftover chicken over angel hair pasta. Wasn't that easy?
We had about 1/2 cup of white rice left, (which we don't buy anymore), so I cooked it,  and mixed it in the with the quinoa. Isabel said it was the best rice she ever had!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...